Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A few days in...

Mucho Gusto,

Hey guys, this is my first official post from Costa Rica.  Even though we have only been here a few days there is so much to talk about.

Host Family:  I live with Gladys and Riccardo, the grandparents of the family.  Two of the nicest people I have ever met.  The grandfather is a retired narcotics officer and was a big soccer player when he was young.  They play cards with their friends and are always willing to hangout and "attempt" to talk to me.  Basically in Costa Rica, the family units are very traditional and close.  Their daughter, Rosie, lives right around the corner, her role is the caretaker and so she comes over and cooks all of the meals and does a lot of the types of things to keep the house in order.  Rosie has a husband, Marco; a 23 year old daughter, Jimena; and a 28 year old son, Marco.  They are always over, families here are always enjoy spending time together, very different from the US.  In addition to them, Rosie's brother, Riccardo Jr., lives above us with his son Juan Diego. 

The entire family is very nice and the younger members speak pretty good english but it is always interesting talking to the adults, but it is becoming easier.  My spanish skills, or lack there of, have been coming in handy.  Thank you Joe Kolman.  

Food:  This topic is huge for me.  I was very curious prior to the trip about what to expect.  The main dish of Costa Rica is Rice and Beans, which is very good, along with fried plantains, basically fried bananas, other types of vegetables, and chicken, beef or fish.  I have had that dish almost everyday, it is still good though. 

The fruit here is awesome, mangos, pineapple, bananas, and others that I have never heard of.  They always have fresh fruit and fruit juices.  The food is different but it is a good change.  As many may know I am incredibly picky usually but I have tried to be open to new things and so its always an adventure at every meal.  

In General:  I am enjoying the trip so far.  It has rained a few times.  Rainy season is beginning which means it will rain basically every afternoon.  I am getting used to the humidity and the constant wetness as we travel the country.  We have been traveling the city seeing different sites, but I am more excited to see the nature aspect, i.e. the rain forest and volcanoes.   Tomorrow, we will be going to see a coffee plantation so there will be more to come.  Also, this weekend we will be going to a volcano and swimming in the hot springs.  I am very excited for this.  Anyways, I will be updating my blog a few times every week hopefully and hopefully there will be pictures soon.  

Hasta Luego!!!  






1 comment:

Jazzman said...

You've never heard of bananas or pineapple before? Why are you excited to swim, you have to take your shirt off.