Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ecotourism 4



Another note on Ecotourism was our stop at Cahuita and Manzanillo, Puerto Viejo.

In Cahuita we went snorkling. It was very fun but frustrating as well. I was not able to avoid the corral reef because of all the waves. I ended up hitting it which apparently kills it in addition to scratching you up as i found out the hard way. But, I did see some cool fish. I used a disposable camera so that is preventing me from showing any pictures of it except for a few.

When we had lunch on the island near the snorkling area we saw many white faced capuchin monkeys, who did there best to steal our food and other items. We also saw snakes on the trip. We saw the eyelash viper. It is highly poisonous but we were still able to get within a few feet of it.




We also went to the Poas Volcano. We were very lucky that it was not clouded over as usual. It is at such a high altitude so there are always clouds blocking the view. We arrived at the perfect time.

We did not stay there very long and so afterwards we headed to the Lo Paz waterfall and butterfly gardens.
There we saw snakes, frogs, birds, monkeys, and butterflies, oh yeah and a few waterfalls.
There were many different species of tropical birds. They were landing on a lot of people and some were even biting.



We took a trail that traveled down the mountain along side of 3 or 4 waterfalls. They were huge. Below is a a picture of me and my roomate PJ.



My friends wanted to hop on the ox cart. Not really sure why it was in the park, but whatever.




Butterfly gardens were interesting. The blue butterfly below is not actually blue it just takes that shade on because of the way the sunlight hits its wings.


We were also at a hummingbird area with hundreds of hummingbirds. I thought they were going to take my head off.

Lastly we saw some monkeys, they were known to pee on people if you got too close to them.

No comments: