Friday, June 13, 2008

My time in Costa Rica

After many of the experiences I have had in Costa Rica, I have realized that sustainability is a necessity for the future of business and the world. I have taken great interest in the different practices that companies have begun looking into. We watched the eleventh hour, it was a very interesting movie. It was kind of shocking to see the impacts that our businesses have made on the world. The biggest factor that played into this was the Industrial Revolutionwhich began in the early 19th century. This began the large scale manufacturing and the use of heavy machinery and many carbon producing processes. This was a time when the US thrived but it was not underrstood then that our success would eventually result in long term struggle with the environment and our natural resources.

Being a college student I realize that when looking for a job in a few years I will be looking for a comapny who has the same values that I do. I will be looking for companies that have a strong sustainability program that I can be a part of.

Cradle to Cradle sent many good messages on how little things we do can make a huge impact. Anything from change a chemical in a product to planting a seed somewhere can help in this sustainable revolution as some may see it. He describes how currently the world has a mentality of cradle to grave and we assume that everything we buy initially will be throw out never to be used again. He suggests a shift of attitude to a cradle to cradle point of view, where all products and resources should have the ability to go back in to the earth as they were once taken from it. This is his main point. It will not be quick or easy but in order to achieve the goal of sustainable living, these are steps necessary to take.

I intend on furthering my knowledge and use of sustainable practices after this trip. It will be interesting to go back home and look for unsustainable practices that are all around me but I never noticed before.

No comments: